LAABS AND EAST MESA OUTDOOR POOL WILL HAVE FREE SWIM SESSIONS THIS 4TH OF JULY, 2019
Lifeguarding training teaches participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drowning.
- Minimum of 15 years old
- Must complete the prerequisite prior to registering for a Lifeguarding Course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. the face maybe in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10 pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at near or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or step.
Upcoming Training - TBD-
Through videos, group discussion, and hands-on practice, participants will learn:
- First aid and professional rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation/automated external defibrillator ( / ) training to help prepare for emergencies
- Professional lifeguard responsibilities
- Rescue skills for use in the water and on land
- Surveillance skills to help you recognize and prevent injuries
Pre-Tests, Costs & Certification
All pre-tests and trainings will be held at Frenger Pool (800 Parkview Drive). Class schedules and locations will be available the first day of class. Candidates 17 years of age and younger must have parent or guardian present to sign a parental consent form prior to participation in the pre-test and class. The cost of the class is $200
These jobs are in high demand! American Red Cross certification is recognized nationwide, so you can work anywhere in the U.S. No other training organization helps train as many lifeguards each year as the American Red Cross.
Contact the Las Cruces Regional Aquatic Center for further information and to sign up for the skills pre-test at 575-541-2782.
Parent & Me Aquatics
- It's a class meant to introduce the child to the water and remove any fear or discomfort from the water, where a parent or guardian accompany the child to accomplish that goal, for childs from 6 month to 2 years.
Preschool Aquatics (Swimming Course for Children)
- Level 1 helps children become comfortable in the water and basic water safety.
- Level 2 builds on Level 1 and introduces fundamental skills, such as kicking and builds on Level 1.
- Level 3 focuses on coordinating arm and leg movements and improving upon skills learned in Levels 1 and 2.
For more information, call the Regional Aquatic Center at 575-541-2782.
Learn to Swim Courses
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills
- Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills
- Level 3: Stroke Development
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement
- Level 6: Swimming and Skill Proficiency
Summer 2019 Swim Classes
The City of Las Cruces Parks and Recreation Department will offer swim lessons from July 22 through August 1 at Frenger Pool, 800 Park View Drive. All classes will be held Monday through Thursday (8 classes per session)
2:00 - 2:30 p.m.
2:45 - 3:15 p.m.
3:30 - 4:00 p.m.
|Mommy and Me||1:15 - 1:45 p.m.|
Registration will be at the Las Cruces Regional Aquatic Center (1401 E Hadley Avenue) on June 29, 2019 and July 6 if needed. No swim evaluations will be given during registration times.
Completion certificates are required, or participants must take a swim evaluation. Swim evaluations will be available from June 24 t0 28, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. And again if needed from July 1-5, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. No swim evaluations will be given during registration times. Class space is limited.
Fall 2019 Swim Classes
The City of Las Cruces Parks and Recreation Department will offer swim lessons from to be determined, at the Las Cruces Regional Aquatic Center.
Costs when classes are available
|Adult Swim||$60 per session|
|Learn to Swim||$45 per session|
|Preschool Swim||$45 per session|
For more information, call the Regional Aquative Center at 575-541-2782.
The City of Las Cruces Parks and Recreation Section is offering use of the aquatic amenities and Warm Water Pool at the Las Cruces Regional Aquatic Center at a reduced fee for qualifying individuals and their care-provider(s).
Individuals with medical conditions that would benefit from fitness to enhance, restore, and maintain a person’s functional abilities may qualify. Conditions can be acute, transient, or chronic. Individuals and their care-provider(s) will be charged an admission fee of $1 per person to use the Aquatic Center’s amenities for one hour during any open swim session.
Both the participant and care-provider(s) must pay for each session of use at the facility. A doctor’s note validating the need for the use of the facility must be provided at the time of registration.